$BlogRSDUrl$>
| Archives Current Posts |
|
Sunday, February 02, 2003 I went to my cousins' first b-day party yesterday. They're sooooo adorable (except one of them hates me... she scrunches up her face and cries every time I try to go near her, haha). There was lots of good food, especially duk (Korean rice cakes)... mmm... yum. Driving in NYC is really scary btw. Every time you try to leave space between your car and the one in front of you, some crazy taxi driver darts in. Finally I got so fed up that I told my dad to cut the taxis off instead but he was like, 'nah, it's ok, they have to do this for living and we're here for leisure...'. Eh. Anyways, I spent a few hours hanging out with NYC 30-something yuppie types... wasn't too much fun, but it was nice seeing family again. The funniest thing, though, was that yesterday was the first time that I'd met TWO people that didn't bat an eyelash when I told them I was applying to 10 schools. And I was like... 'wow... you *don't* think that's a bit excessive?' and their response was like... 'no... why?' So that was pretty amusing in itself, when I was done watching two babies blowing spit bubbles. ****************************** I was listening to "Goodbye to you" by Michelle Branch yesterday on the way up to NYC, staring out the window, matching up the scenery w/ parts of the song while considering performing it for Teen Idol (stop laughing), and I remembered something from a few years ago. I remember listening to Great Big Sea on my newly burned mix, coming back from the Hershey Park band trip, and being struck by what I saw... it was like the ideal farm scenes passing me by... the sky was this amazing combination of purple-orange-green hues, as strange as that sounds, and you would see this lone farmhouse with lights shining out of the second-story windows every few minutes or so. Very ethereal and so so vivid. Being reminded of this yesterday just made me wonder at the associations that our memories make, how one thing always manages to relate to another. ************* One of my aunts from Korea (from my mother's side) called today and apparently, she told my mom in passing conversation that my cousin wanted to know what college I was going to. My cousin is this girl that's a few years younger than me (maybe 2 or 3), who is always insanely jealous of everyone. I remember that when she visited my family back when I was in 5th grade, we went to Costo (that wholesale club in Edison). They happen to sell these HUGE cups of frozen yogurt there for like, $1 or so... pretty cheap. Anyway, when my mom asked whether she wanted one, at first she was like, 'I'll share one with my mom". Then she saw that I was eating mine mostly by myself and demanded one of her own. That was fine in itself, but she ended up throwing out over half of hers... all because she has this jealousy that sort of blinds her to everythign else. I think she was only 9 or so then, but from what I hear, she really hasn't changed a bit. Getting to the point of all this background, the fact that she was asking what college I got into sort of pissed the hell out of me (because believe me, she wasn't asking to just find out how I was doing)... and it was kind of odd because I ended up lamenting the fact that she hadn't asked like, a year ago or even 3 months ago. Had she done that, I think it might have pushed me to work a lot harder just so I could eventually let my mom say I got into so-and-so-impressive-college-name-here and let my cousin stew in her own jealousy. Or maybe not. Changing my sloth-like nature is sort of hard. I think I should attempt to catch up with my chem hw. I think, also, that I always say that but never really do it anyway. Hm. --posted by M @ 10:20 PM | 0 comments 0 Comments: |