$BlogRSDUrl$>
| Archives Current Posts |
|
Sunday, February 23, 2003 It's interesting how some works of art grow on you as you get older. When I saw Rushmore a few years back (sometime right after it was released on VHS I guess), I thought it was a pretty good movie... amusing at the very least. Other than that, it didn't really stand out in my mind... perhaps I just thought it was good because I'd seen it after the movie-version of Mr. Bean (such an atrocity btw... I can't believe Rowan Atkinson agreed to be in that piece of crap). Anyway, I just saw Rushmore again... and I have a whole new appreciation for it. Besides the kickass soundtrack, I really enjoyed the idea that it was portraying everyday, normal people... not that Max Fischer & Co. can exactly be termed 'normal', but I think life is stranger than fiction. We just don't think that because we've been brainwashed with run-of-the-mill, predictable fare from companies such as the WB and Disney. My only complaint would be that, having seen both Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums, that the style (not content) is too similar. I suppose that maybe Wes Anderson was trying to establish a trademark style of directing/producing, and that might have been fine for the first two movies, but I'd love to see something completely different come from him. Then again, maybe it wouldn't work since the simplified, almost-retro style cinematography seems to mirror his stories... but if he didn't experiment, he would lose a lot of the credit that he got for innovation, in my mind. Anyway, Rushmore really does a good job with presenting its characters as multi-dimensional, real human beings... if you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you check it out. And if you don't like it the first time, give it another watch. :) --posted by M @ 2:20 PM | 0 comments 0 Comments: |