$BlogRSDUrl$>
| Archives Current Posts |
|
Monday, May 17, 2004 My response to the last commenter was so long that I couldn't post it as another comment. So I quote: don't hate people for not throwing money at you. i'd bet that out of everyone, college students are the least willing to give up money for any cause. i don't think parading around that pic of that burned guy everywhere helped much either.. your xanga site reminded me of goatse or tubgirl or bakla or lemonparty (and if you have never heard of those, more power to you) i'll keep my money, thank you very much. i can be korean and a cheapass at the same time. fhgwqhads | 05.16.04 - 3:37 pm | # And respond: "I didn't enjoy "parading around" that picture, but it did stop more people than you think and at least some people bothered to read or ask questions about what was going on, even if they couldn't or wouldn't make a donation. As I stated in my previous entry, raising money was a goal but just as important was raising awareness. If I'd just said '161 people died and 1,300 were injured,' most people would think, 'What a shame'. When people see how bad it is, they can imagine the pain that that person must be feeling. 'That person' is given a face and an existence that could never be conveyed by a number. "I'm not necessarily asking for college students to give up their money, because I realize that not all of us are here on mommy and daddy's dime (even though most of us are and use a lot of that money to entertain ourselves). I don't hate anyone for not giving me money either. I'm asking everyone, not just college students and Koreans, to stop being so goddamned apathetic and selfish. I'm talking about students that looked at pictures like that and purposely veered the other way. I'm talking about people that bitch about having 5 finals without realizing what a luxury that is. And if that's the mental state that college students are in, then we're in more trouble than I originally thought. "Unless you're joking, I hope you have an experience one day where you realize that life and the human experience isn't just about you and what you can get out of it for yourself. I hope it won't take something as violent and life-threatening as an explosion to make you realize that; maybe one day you'll be in need of help and someone will unexpectedly and selflessly offer it. And if you never need that help, more power to you as well. But I can't help feeling that much sorrier for the person who will never know that that sort of love and goodwill can exist between human beings." --- Idealistic? Of course. Completely beyond the realm of possibility? Absolutely not. When it comes down to it, I don't doubt that most people only care about themselves. But there are still thousands of people out there who take paycuts or make drastic lifestyle changes to help others, or volunteer countless hours in soup kitchens, schools, hospitals, on the streets, and more. Why do all this? It only takes a look at your surroundings, or if you've been fortunate enough, at the outside world, and a little bit of empathy to want to help others. I've seen animals helping and grieving for one another, but what is an almost distinctly human trait is the ability to empathize with others who are not in your immediate family. Maybe it's because as human beings we have the foresight to realize that what goes around, comes around. Isn't that partly why everyone on the face of the planet has an opinion on the war in Iraq? Or perhaps Jonathan Edwards was wrong, and humans aren't innately bad; they're born a blank slate, or maybe even innately good. Whatever the case, I do know one thing is true--and this is for all you science nerds who don't believe in social responsibility-- every action has a reaction. And thus, in the non-isolated system of the real world, every inaction has a reaction too-- because when a train explodes halfway across the world and no one reacts, what do you get? Thousands eventually dead by starvation and exposure. --posted by M @ 12:03 AM | 0 comments 0 Comments: |