$BlogRSDUrl$>
| Archives Current Posts |
|
Monday, May 17, 2004 Quote: "When people see how bad it is, they can imagine the pain that that person must be feeling. 'That person' is given a face and an existence that could never be conveyed by a number." that was your goal? the disgusting picture of the burned face is hardly dramatic enough to convince me to want to "find out more" than what i've seen in the news (gruesome pictures included). that kind of image makes you not want to look at it anymore. it most certainly doesn't make me think "that man is burned up, my $5 will surely help him." to be honest, i liked ("liked" as in "was more moved by") the image of the group of koreans in the ruins searching for their things amidst the rubble. it gives more of an idea of the kind of help they need. and then BAM: a goatse-like image that makes me want to tear the poster down. if you want to blame someone about lack of awareness, blame the media for only making it news for a day. and the government for making everyone hate north korea. fhqwhgads (spelled correctly t | 05.17.04 - 1:40 am | # And respond: Maybe that's true for you, and props for not needing something shocking to realize what's going on. But unfortunately, this isn't as true for the rest of the world. Why do you think there's so much sex and violence on tv? Shocking things sell. And eventually, people become inured to it all and that's the only thing that will make most people pause. You're basically telling me my methods of publicizing the crisis were wrong because they disgusted you. But i don't think you really have the right to complain when you weren't sitting there yourself and saw how many people actually stopped. Sure, I could have blown up a picture of people searching through the rubble (and I did add photos like that to the poster at our booth). However, I couldn't blow it up to the same size because the resolution would have been much lower, and people passing by from far away wouldn't have been able to tell what it was a picture of. Of course, if you actually had done a little more research on my involvement with this fundraiser, you would have known all this and would have realized that on both our color flier and the website, I did include other pictures of the rubble. For all my criticisms and complaints, I always take a moment to look at it from someone else's point of view. If I think they did a shitty job, sometimes I'll realize that they did the best job that they could, under the circumstances. And if I still think I could have done better, I get up and do something about it. What have you done lately? Clearly, you exerted enough energy to type these comments. Somehow letting me know your input in a constructive manner a week ago wouldn't have required too much additional effort, I think. All in all, I don't think you're getting the message-- I'm not blaming anyone for lack of awareness. I'm blaming people for not caring after they've looked. If that picture disgusted you, good. Then take the next step and think about how horrible it must be for the victim of those burns, instead of selfishly and childishly thinking, "oh, my poor eyes!". When all's said and done, that person's probably going to be blind. Sorry if I can't sympathize with your plight instead. --posted by M @ 12:01 PM | 0 comments 0 Comments: |